Notes from the Fourth Act - Hand-writing Drama. Working out the detectives’ discoveries in contemporary prime-time procedural crime series. Procedurals are about our riding along with often unusual detectives’ unique methods; how we get from discovery to denouement is down to their personal interpretations of traditional evidence. I’ve smudged out any spoilers, as this one hasn’t aired yet.
1. time - where are we in the viewers’ experience of the story/dramatic hour
2. stakes - what’s in the balance, what’s the (always theoretical) solution, how long do we have to figure this out before the worst thing happens?
3. regular characters in play - who’s acting, deciding how this turns out & how
4. what are their obstacles & choices, impact/feeding one another’s progress
5. a sticky noted lead in to act five (the climax) - where I’m writing to, in the story, for the fourth act